Sunday, January 27, 2013

Front of House Magazine

     As a Show Production and Engineering student at Full Sail University, I was always taught in a "hands on" approach. Most of my teachers always focused on how me and the rest of the students would learn better by "doing it ourselves" by participating in live labs. Although I personally enjoyed this new focused way of learning, I also sometimes missed focusing on the "old fashioned" way of learning by reading books. When I reached month eight in my Full Sail career as a Show Production student, I had an instructor recommend the magazine called Front of House for me to read. For this blog post, I decided to take a long look at their website (http://www.fohonline.com/ ) and do a review of how I felt about it compared to it's magazine.
      My first initial reaction to Front of House's website was that it seemed extremely cluttered. I was almost too overwhelmed to know where to begin. The first link I decided to click on is the one that says "current issue". Although I already saw this issue in person, I wanted to see how the magazine displays the issue for online viewers. As I waited for the website to load for almost five minutes with no change, I finally noticed that the issue actually loads underneath the main website. This to me was almost an inconvenience. However, the issue itself was very insightful and detailed orientated. It was organized and very easy to read.
  Some parts of the website that I personally really enjoyed include the "New Gear" part, and the "Jobs" section. The "New Gear" section of the website lists all new gear in the production industry. It gives reviews and detailed descriptions of each item. This to me as a Sound Engineer is extremely insightful and useful. It educates me and keeps me up to date on all new gear that is being used in the industry today. The part of the website that is titled "Jobs" opens up a new tab in one's internet browser. As a student who is still searching for more work, I found this part of the website to be extremely useful and helpful. It gives people in my field the chance to see any open positions available.
     Overall, I found the website to be extremely useful and insightful. For those who do not want to commit to having a subscription to the actual magazine, it allows you to get all the same information as those who receive it in their mail boxes. To me, Front of House Magazine is one of the best in the show production industry. I highly recommend it to all of those who want an insightful look at the live event industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment